It was on 20 October 1947 that MAE WEST was photographed at Euston Station en route to Manchester to present "Diamond Lil" onstage. Some of her elaborate stage gowns were trimmed with Battenberg lace.
• • This week the spirit of the screen queen was sashaying her way through fashion week on the West Coast.
• • Fashion designer Sue Wong opened Los Angeles Fashion week with the Pre-Code Hollywood-themed "Glamour Goddesses" party and fashion presentation at her historic Wilshire Center Atelier on Friday, 15 October 2010.
• • Pre-Code Hollywood preceded the Hayes Code of censorship which was officially implemented in 1934, and was the free wheeling creative period at the dawn of the motion picture era, noted for its adventurous exploration of subject matters, including provocative takes on sexuality, challenges to authority, and a rejection of Victorian era traditions. "At a young age I became enamored of films such as Blonde Venus, The Tarnished Lady, and Dangerous Curves and the scandalous glamour goddesses of the Pre-Code silver screen, such as Mae West, Marlene Dietrich, Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, and Tallulah Bankhead — — and their independent strength, their embrace of feminine sensuality and their sexually frank libertine spirit," said Sue Wong, who cites these iconic screen legends as the inspiration for her Spring 2011 Collection.
• • The Sue Wong Spring 2011 Collection features dramatic gowns and flirtatious cocktail dresses with intricately wrought hand details such as beadwork, applique, and embroidery and novel trim including leaves fashioned from taffeta, skirts of ostrich featers — — and scalloped tiers of Battenberg lace. "I wanted to evoke the chic elegance and cool mystique of Greta Garbo, the irreverent and indomitable spirit of Mae West, and the seductive sensuality of Jean Harlow," said Sue Wong, whose designs are sold in fine boutiques and department stores such as Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom and in more than 27 countries globally.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest