MAE WEST impressionist Danny LaRue [26 July 1927 – 31 May 2009] — — once called the "most glamorous woman in the world" by Bob Hope — — always dressed to thrill.
• • Here is the late stage star wearing his "Mae West" gown, which is among several costumes that are to be auctioned at Brick Lane Music Hall in east London on 12 March 2010. [Photo: Brick Lane Music Hall/ PA].
• • Born Daniel Patrick Carroll in Cork, Ireland, Danny LaRue spared no expense for his lavish live appearances, when he was often accompanied by a 12-piece orchestra. In the 1960s he was among Britain's highest-paid entertainers. Awaiting auction-goers will be sumptuously beaded and sequined dresses, miles of lame, and a royal aviary of feathered frou-frou among the 90 ensembles to go under the hammer at Brick Lane Music Hall in east London where he regularly performed. Among these treasures are pantomime costumes; outfits worn in the West End hit "Hello, Dolly!" (which will be sold with mounted and framed original design drawings); gowns worn for music hall and cabaret performances; and head-dresses. My, oh my.
• • In between impersonating Mae West and other curvy bombshells during his six-decades-long career, Danny LaRue also triumphed in seven major shows including "Come Spy With Me" at the Whitehall Theatre, the "Danny La Rue Show" at the Aladdin at the London Palladium as well as the Prince of Wales theatre where Mae West triumphed sixty years ago in "Diamond Lil."
• • Danny LaRue appears in the documentary "All You Need Is Love: The Story Of Popular Music: Rude Songs (Vaudeville And Music Hall)," which can be seen on DVD. This film about the history of popular music in America focuses on music halls taking a look back at the concert halls that spawned a large-scale industry in the world of music, as well as the creative styles that sprung from it. Artists featured in concert footage and interviews include Mae West, Edith Piaf, Judy Garland, and more.
• • The auctioneers said the Victoria and Albert Museum has bought four costumes in advance of the sale. Tell them you heard about it on the MAE WEST BLOG.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • Danny LaRue as Mae • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest