MAE WEST 's approach to glamour was discussed by a British columnist focused on matters of style versus substance.
• • "Nothing empowers women more than a good education and career, but since cinema began they have been unable to resist copying the fashions that give models and Hollywood stars allure," writes Carol Dyhouse.
• • Carol Dyhouse adds: It is tempting to ask whether glamour, once an escape for women, has now become a prison? But adult women aren't simply prisoners, dupes or victims, and there can be a playfulness around glamour, exemplified by many women performers, for instance: Mae West, Marlene Dietrich, Madonna, Courtney Love, and currently, the gloriously bonkers Lady Gaga. As soon as you think or write about glamour you enter dangerous territory. ...
• • To access this thought-provoking read, see the publication below.
— — Excerpt: — —
• • Article: "Glamour versus feminism? Just look at the images in the media we all adore!"
• • Byline: Carol Dyhouse
• • Published in: The Observer [UK] — — www.guardian.co.uk
• • Published on: Sunday, 21 March 2010
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest