In Marion, Ohio, they fondly remember MAE WEST.
• • On August 30th and 31st, 2008, Ohio theater-goers will get a chance to party like it's 1928 at the kick-off event to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the Palace Theatre — — and reminisce about the Brooklyn bombshell, too.
• • Elaine Merchant, executive director of the Palace, said she and other staff have done considerable research to re-enact the opening night in 1928, as closely as possible. Merchant calls this weekend's event a rewind to the entertainment the first Palace Theatre patrons would have seen in back then.
• • Performances will include some local folks who will bring a nostalgic flavor through tumbling, comedy, and vaudeville acts suggestive of such acts at Mae West, W.C. Fields, Al Jolson, Jimmy Durante, Ethel Walters, Groucho Marx, Eddie Foy and the Seven Little Foys, and more.
• • The anniversary event will open with the silent film "Sherlock Jr." starring Buster Keaton, accompanied by music on the Palace's Mighty Wurlitzer organ played by Dennis James.
• • The Palace Theatre [276 W. Center Street, Marion, Ohio 43302] can be phoned at (740) 383-2101 and they will tell you more about their 80th Jubilee.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1927 • •