On August 2nd, MAE WEST will be celebrated, commemorated, and/ or channeled in Georgia.
• • This is what Blast-Off Burlesque co-founder Sadie Hawkins promised for the troupe's GO WEST! show on Saturday 2 August 2008 — — "Bar fights, lassos, and hula hoops; Mae West; cancan dancing; crazy old prospectors; barnyard animals; and aliens. We can't forget the aliens."
What the heck? That's what fans have come to expect from Blast-Off, which is definitely not your typical T&A or even bump-and-grind burlesque troupe — — more Monty Python than Pussycat Dolls. (This is, after all, the troupe that boasts drag king Dickie van Dyke, whose act is beyond words.) The Western-themed show, the second in its Sci-Fi A-Go-Go series, will feature special guest appearances from the Syrens of the South, Renea' Le Roux (formerly of Big City Burlesque), Hoopsie Daisy, and Naughtalie. It will also premiere a short film, "Westward Ho" (ho-ho-ho). Time: 10 p.m.
• • Where: Alcove Gallery and Studio, 2852 E. College Avenue, Decatur, Georgia 30030; T. 404-663-0159.
• • If you are in New York City on Sunday 17 August 2008, come up and enjoy a Mae day in Greenwich Village. During the "Mae West's Walk on the Wild Side" walking tour, the group will visit some gay old times in the life of the screen queen and her trademark songs will be sung live by a vivacious actress, a native New Yorker who has performed in many musicals.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •