MAE WEST was not letting her meat loaf during the Depression Era. At a time when many Americans were out of work, the actress was in the pink and — — busy counting the green.
• • With two solid box office hits behind her, during 1934 Mae West became the highest-paid entertainer in America with an income of $399,166. The following year, her earnings increased to $480,833.
• • Naturally, the Brooklyn bombshell had her pick of high-priced customized sedans and roadsters. It's been noted that the 1935 Dusenberg SJ was originally designed for classic film star Mae West, "with an art deco passenger area, but she never took delivery of the car," said Rob Huting, general manager of AutoTrader Classics. Instead the Mars Candy Company heiress, Ethel V. Mars bought this vehicle for an eyebrow-raising $20,000 at the time.
• • Last year on Mae's birthday [17 August 2007], RM Auctions re-sold this 1935 Dusenberg SJ. The classic car auction, held in Monterey, California, fetched a hot price: $4,400,000.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1935 Dusenberg SJ • •