MAE WEST and Cary Grant are back and BAM's got 'em.
• • According to the Brooklyn Academy of Music's press office: This sequel to last year’s Cary Grant Cinema Series presents more films starring the inimitable leading man, whose iconic blend of elegance, comic timing, and flawless physique led Howard Hawks to declare him “by so far the best that there isn’t anybody to be compared to him.”
• • Critic Pauline Kael, a big Diamond Lil fan, wrote: "Mae West, the great shady lady of the screen, wriggles and sings ‘Easy Rider’ and seduces. A classic comedy and a classic seduction."
• • BAM's publicity staff had this to say about "She Done Him Wrong," directed by Lowell Sherman: "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?" Mae West oozes sex while firing off brazen double-entendres in this racy pre-Code classic — — her first, finest, and most jaw-droppingly salacious vehicle. West plays Lady Lou, a singer at the Gay Nineties Saloon, where she croons suggestive numbers like "Frankie and Johnny" and the shockingly sleazy “Where Has My Easy Rider Gone?” while also finding time to seduce an upstanding young temperance-leaguer (Grant) investigating the bar for corruption.
• • WHEN: This Monday, 12 July 2010 at 6:50pm and 9:30pm — — Double Feature with "Hot Saturday" starring Cary Grant, Nancy Carroll, Randolph Scott.
• • WHERE: BAMcinématek | Repertory | BAM Rose Cinemas, 30 Lafayette Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11217-1486.
• • Tell them you heard about it on the MAE WEST BLOG.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1933 song sheet • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest