Days ago, French fashion flaunter Jean Paul Gaultier presented a runway look inspired by MAE WEST.
• • Describing the Oscar-worthy Gaultier creations for readers of The New York Times, columnist Cathy Horyn wrote: "As the models came out in wafting mousseline gowns and velvet columns, headshots of screen legends — — Mae West, Louise Brooks, Audrey Hepburn, Rita Hayworth — — swam across the celestial blue backdrop."
• • Covering the show in Paris, front row couture-critic Godfrey Deeny also seemed to be enjoying the melodramatic, improbable spectacle.
• • Godfrey Deeny writes: Lights, camera, Gaultier! French fashion's enfant terrible Jean Paul Gaultier found it, at the movies with a fall 2009 haute couture collection on Wednesday, July 8, inspired throughout by cinema.
• • Gaultier telegraphed his punch to guests as soon as they walked in the door of his Paris headquarters by naming each area of the show space after a major studio.
• • Each look was named after a famous movie, opening with curvaceous Dutch model Lara Stone as Le Mepris of "Contempt," Jean Luc Godard's classic starring Jack Palance and Brigitte Bardot about the cynicism of film making. Lara Stone strutted out in leather trench-coat and seamed tights, her blonde hair piled up in a beehive just like Bardot in the movie. . . .
• • At times, the more outlandish looks seemed almost like living organisms, such as the crocodile scale ensemble that represented "Night of the Iguana." And few couturiers can draw out such fine craftsmanship from their ateliers as Gaultier — — whose satin Mae West look seemed made out of Wurlitzer organ pipes.
• • Gaultier took his concept even further with several outfits literally made of film strips, including one called "Rushes." The whole thing garnered great applause from an audience that included Kylie Minogue and Mickey Rourke.
— — Excerpt: — —
• • Article: Jean Paul Gaultier's Celluloid Couture
• • Published in: Fashion Wire Daily
• • Byline: Godfrey Deeny | reporting from Paris
• • Published on: Thursday, 9 July 2009
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest