Being scandalous is the theme of a jazzy musical featuring MAE WEST — — who will be portrayed by brunette newcomer Jennifer Swiderski.
• • SYNOPSIS of "Scandalous People" — — Set in a 1920s Harlem speakeasy, "Scandalous People" is a "jazzical" rife with leggy chorus girls, vaudevillian antics, backstage drama, and comedy. The story revolves around Dewey Demarkov, an African-American showman and resident impresario of the Do Drop Inn. Dewey's innovative productions garner the praise and attention of the infamous Mae West, who would like a show built around her; and the notorious gangster Dutch Schultz, who is looking for a foray into Harlem's speakeasy scene. With their money and support, Dewey's dream of mounting a groundbreaking black and white revue on racially polarized Broadway seems within reach... but at what cost?
• • During August 2009, "Scandalous People" will play five performances at the Minetta Lane Theatre in Greenwich Village.
• • Since Demarkov is a Slavic name, maybe the guy is planning a do-drop-inn move on the Russian empress Catherine the Great as well.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest