The 2009 edition of Frommer's Los Angeles is out — — and MAE WEST is bedding down there.
• • According to Frommer's, the Avalon is the first style-conscious boutique hotel on the L.A. scene — — and this mid-20th-century-inspired gem in the heart of Beverly Hills still leads the pack. With a soothing sherbet-hued palette and classic atomic-age furnishings — — Eames cabinets, Heywood-Wakefield chairs, Nelson bubble lamps — — mixed with smart custom designs, every room looks as if it could star in a Metropolitan Home photo spread. But fashion doesn't forsake function at this beautifully designed hotel, which offers enough luxury comforts and amenities to please design-blind travelers, too.
• • The property is comprised of the former Beverly Carlton (seen on "I Love Lucy" and once home to Mae West and Marilyn Monroe), as well as two neighboring 1950s-era apartment houses. . . .
• • Avalon Hotel — — 9400 W. Olympic Boulevard [at Beverly Drive], Beverly Hills, CA 90212
— — Excerpt: — —
• • Frommer's Los Angeles 2009
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •