Since Jack West, the father of MAE WEST, was very fond of horse racing, he was often photographed enjoying himself at Santa Anita Park. His daughter was also followed by the cameras there — — for instance, when she filmed her scenes for "Goin' to Town" [released on 25 April 1935 ]. Mae-mavens will recall that part of the storyline that transports our intrepid heroine Cleo Borden to a mythical track in Buenos Aires to race her thoroughbred.
• • Now that 1935 Paramount Pictures scene will be memorialized in a unique wall calendar for 2011.
• • The wall calendar has been an opening-day Santa Anita Park give-away to attendees for quite awhile. This year's edition will feature a dozen motion pictures that have been shot at Santa Anita. In addition to "Goin' to Town," "Charlie Chan at the Race Track" was shot at Santa Anita Park as well as "Seabiscuit" — — and their archivists have selected nine other movies.
• • Where to buy a calendar: Champions! at Santa Anita Park, 285 W. Huntington Drive, Arcadia, California 91007-3439; Tel: 800-675-2114.
• • Tell them you heard about their commemorative calendar on the MAE WEST Blog.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1935 at Santa Anita Park with Beverly West and Jim Timony • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest