The classic motion picture "She Done Him Wrong," written by and starring MAE WEST, featured numerous old-fashioned songs, skillfully threaded through the soundtrack.
• • "After the Ball"  was a very popular piece of music written by Charles Harris, who was born in the month of May — — on 1 May 1865 in Poughkeepsie, New York. This piece was played on Gus Jordan's saloon piano by Fuzzy Knight (though probably dubbed).
• • “Fuzzy” Knight, who usually portrayed a comic sidekick in dozens of motion pictures, was born John Forest Knight in the month of May — — on 9 May 1901 in Fairmont, West Virginia. Knight died on 23 February 1976.
• • "Chickadee" on DVD in May 2011 • •
• • This screen gem is debuting on DVD, starring Mae West and W.C. Fields — — "My Little Chickadee" — — finally.
• • Despite on-going pressures from the censors, here are a few lines that made it into the final version, a screenplay that was a collaboration between Mae West and W.C. Fields:
• • • Cuthbert J. Twillie: May I present my card?
• • • Flower Belle Lee: 'Novelties and Notions.' What kind of notions you got?
• • • Cuthbert J. Twillie: You'd be surprised. Some are old, some are new. Whom have I the honor of addressing?
• • • Flower Belle Lee: Mmm, call me Flower Belle.
• • • Cuthbert J. Twillie: Flower Belle, what a euphonious appellation. Easy on the ears and a banquet for the eyes.
• • • Flower Belle Lee: You're kinda cute yourself.
• • • Cuthbert J. Twillie: Thank you. I never argue with a lady.
• • • Flower Belle Lee: Smart boy.
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • "I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it." [Supposedly said by Mae West and posted on the web site Good Reads.]
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • British columnist Betty Munsey writes: Mae West, the early 20th century actress and sex symbol, once remarked that “a man’s kiss is his signature” whereas Bob Hope, the entertainer extraordinaire, added that “people who throw kisses are extremely lazy.” But I personally prefer the old Chinese proverb which reminds us that kissing is like drinking salt water, the more you drink, the greater your thirst. ...
• • Source: Article: "Kisses seal special moments" written by Betty Munsey for SWVA Today; posted on 10 May 2011
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started seven years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 1927th blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1940 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest