MAE WEST, in animated form, briefly but memorably appears in the Turner Features Animation film "Cats Don't Dance" . Not marketed very successfully, it breezed through the movie houses on its quiet little paws and perhaps you never heard of it.
• • Mae West steps into the frame during "Danny's Arrival Song," at a musical interlude. The scene is the legendary Brown Derby Restaurant, which opened in the 1920s.
• • Gossip columnists such as Hedda Hopper would regularly mention certain trendy restaurants and night clubs in their columns when celebrities were seen in hot spots such as Vine Street's Brown Derby, which was steps from the intersection of Hollywood and Vine.
• • It is 1939 when Danny the cat wants to break into show business in Tinseltown. He approaches the Brown Derby restaurant. But instead of entering, he prowls around the perimeter, pussy-footing, and appearing at the windows. First, he is seen at the window of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. Then he is seen at the window where Mae West is framed. Mae poses for the cameras and mouths a kiss. A flurry of flashbulbs greets the screen queen — — however, Mae West is not seen again.
• • Several cartoon versions of Golden Age Hollywood stars appear in this film in addition to Mae West and Laurel and Hardy such as: Jimmy Durante, Bette Davis, Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh, Laurel and Hardy, Cary Grant, Joan Crawford, W. C. Fields, and Clark Gable during the red carpet premiere. The cartoon, released in March 1997, won the Best Animated Feature award at the 1997 Annie Awards.
• • Hope in May • •
• • Bob Hope appeared with Mae West on TV on Sunday, 3 May 1959 on Dean Martin's special. The comedian was born in England on 29 May 1903.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West wrote this exchange for "My Little Chickadee" .
• • • Wayne Carter: Spring is the time for love.
• • • Flower Belle Lee: What's the matter with the rest of the year?
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • Canadian columnist Shinan Govani interviewed Montreal's "Eligible Lady Jennifer Campbell," who said that her "Dream Dinner Guest List" would include: Mae West, Chelsea Handler, Graydon Carter, Marilyn Monroe, Rob Lowe, Alexandra Shulman, Karl Lagerfeld, Katie Couric, and Shinan Govani. ...
• • Source: Article: "Shinan’s Worthy 30: Montreal’s most eligible ladies" written by Shinan Govani for The National Post; posted on 28 May 2011
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started seven years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 1945th blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
Source:http://maewest.blogspot.com/atom.xmlMae West• • Photo: • • Mae West • • cartoonized, 1997 • •• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest