MAE WEST has a tie to a most unusual place in Hollywood that opened its doors in 1963.
• • The Magic Castle, an exclusive private club, has been the location for many Hollywood motion pictures as well as TV films — — including ”The Mae West Story.”
• • Mae appeared in vaudeville with the great Harry Houdini and the Houdini séance room, which contains one of the largest original collections of Houdini's great tools of the trade, is situated there.
• • Mae appeared on Edgar Bergen's radio show and this is the final residence for Edgar Bergen's ventriloquists dummies.
• • Mae appeared with W.C. Fields in "My Little Chickadee" and here can be found the trick pool table owned by Fields.
• • Over the years, club members have included (and still include) many of the industry's elite such as Mae's former co-stars Cary Grant and Dom DeLuise — — as well as Johnny Carson, Johnny Depp, Buzz Aldrin, Sean Penn, Carol Channing, Nicholas Cage, Tony Shaloub, Drew Barrymore, JoAnne Worley, Loni Anderson, Steve Martin, Buddy Ebsen, Rose Marie, Tippi Hedren, Walter Mathau, Karl Malden, as well as some of the greatest magicians including Penn & Teller, Doug Henning, Siegfried and Roy to name only a few.
• • Fortunately, no one has bulldozed this special landmark owned by the Academy of Magical Arts. The Magic Castle is located at 7001 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028-8600.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest