MAE WEST entertained thousands of Mae-mavens at The Mapes.
• • According to sports betting expert Ross Everett, The Mapes Hotel (which opened in 1947) in Reno, Nevada was an important part of Northern Nevada history. Ushering in a new era in casino gambling, The Mapes was actually the first property in the country to combine a hotel, casino, and live entertainment under the same roof.
• • Writing for The Daily Downer, Ross Everett explains: It also became the hotel of choice for celebrities staying in Northern Nevada. Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe stayed at The Mapes during the filming of "The Misfits." During the Rat Pack era of the 1950s and 1960s it became, along with the Cal-Neva Lodge in Lake Tahoe, the place to be seen in Northern Nevada. The 11th floor, window-walled Sky Room Lounge hosted performances by a roster of entertainment legends — — including Mae West, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., Dean Martin, Louis Prima, Keely Smith, and Milton Berle.
• • After enjoying a long bout of prosperity, The Mapes foundered and closed in 1982 and was demolished in 2000 despite attempts to preserve it.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest