When she was 32, Ann Jillian portrayed MAE WEST in a woeful made-for-TV movie  that actually got her an Emmy nod — — if not an actual award. Though it is partially the fault of the excruciating dialogue and partially the fault of the director, watching Ann Jillian mince around as Mae sends my cringe reflex into over-drive.
• • Remember the part where she is in the courtroom defending her play by sassing the judge, and wearing a foolish hat? If anyone bothers to recall, Mae West was right in style during the 1920s with bobbed hair and a tight-fitting cloche — — not some precariously balanced party hat. And Mae's line about trying to conceal her contempt [swiped from her movie "I'm No Angel"] betrays the seriousness she brought to her own defense. Deplorable. And let's not even discuss that boorishness with Roddy as "Rene Valentine." Get the barf bag, Edna.
• • Born on 29 January 1950 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Ann Jillian is now a breast cancer survivor for more than 23 years. She will be sharing her personal battle with the disease with luncheon guests at the first Northeast Hospital Foundation’s “In the Pink of Health” luncheon — — on Friday 17 October 2008.
• • WHERE: Houston Airport Marriott Hotel, 18700 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Houston, Texas
• • INFO: 281-540-7700
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •