Named for MAE WEST was a famous flotation device, a certain style of radio, a palm-size dessert made in Canada, a soda bottle, and also an old-fashioned gasoline pump.
• • "They called this style the Mae West. The yellow stand is tall and lean, with curves in all the right places. Kind of," writes Maria Canton.
• • It is a vintage gas pump, after all, but its name and shape give a nod to the iconic actress who lit Hollywood on fire in the 1930s and 40s, about the same time the pump earned its nickname on the gasoline scene.
• • The Mae West gas pump is just one of more than a hundred in Cornelius Vlielander's sizable collection that he keeps on display in the front yard of his 100-acre farm near Chatsworth. . . .
— — Excerpt: — —
• • Byline: Maria Canton
• • Published in: The Owen Sound Sun Times [Ontario, Canada] — — www.owensoundsuntimes.com
• • Published on: 20 June 2008
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •