Julie met MAE WEST aboard the Queen Mary and sailed away with her autograph. Now her well-traveled book — — containing dozens of famous names, from British royals to the aristocrats of Tinseltown — — will be auctioned off in North Lincolnshire, Brigg [Great Britain] this weekend.
• • On Saturday 14 June 2008, when the gavel comes down there might be new owners of this busy autograph book that accompanied a collector who took several ocean voyages on the Queen Mary during the 1940s, and who also retained a concert program from Sheffield, where The Beatles were fifth on the bill in 1963.
• • Julie Barnett (who hails from Worksop, England) has put her treasures up for sale; she saw the band shortly after "Love Me Do" was released by the four soon-to-be-famous mop-tops.
• • The owner of the autograph book had the privilege of meeting many of the world's most famous people aboard the Queen Mary.
• • Mae West, Cary Grant, Chico Marx, Elizabeth Taylor, and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor are among the names expected to fetch £1,500.
• • According to British auctioneer Craig Bewick, some autographs would be almost as valuable separately — — but it was decided to sell the book as a whole.
• • This auction is part of Brown & Co's Summer Fine Art & Antiques Auction, Brigg.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •