On 14 September 1931, MAE WEST's Harlem drama "The Constant Sinner" opened on Broadway.
• • Mickey's Clock Stopped on 14 September 2006 • •
• • Born in Budapest, Hungary on 6 January 1926, handsome Mickey Hargitay became a bodybuilder. The muscular six-footer was a notable member of the ensemble cast of Mae West's stage show during the 1950s.
• • Time Magazine reported, "Mae's troupe proved invigorating even for jaded Las Vegas," and the act subsequently toured the US for a few years. One of the gorgeous chorus-boys who was hired early on was the former "Mr Universe" Mickey Hargitay who, in 1956, would become romantically involved with the blonde sexpot Jayne Mansfield.
• • When Jayne Mansfield and Mae West began to fight over Hargitay, and Mansfield made some publicly disparaging remarks about West's age, the ensuing uproar resulted in Novak's punching Hargitay — — the only occasion on which Novak made the headlines. An intensely private person, he managed for the rest of West's life to stay out of the limelight.
• • Mickey Hargitay died in Los Angeles of multiple myeloma in the month of September — — on 14 September 2006.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said this: "I only have 'yes' men around me. Who needs 'no' men?"
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • Actress Elizabeth Banks mentioned Mae West during her most recent interview.
• • Parade staff wrote about the comedic inspirations Elizabeth Banks had noted: "Women have always been successful in comedy — — going back to Mae West and even Katharine Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine and Lucy Ball. There's a very strong tradition of women in comedy. I feel like there might be a surge happening now, but there's a very long heritage of comedians who came before the ladies who are doing so well now." ...
• • Source: Article: "Elizabeth Banks: Women Take Care of Everyone But Themselves" written by Parade.com and reprinted by the Kitsap Sun; posted on 13 September 2011
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started seven years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2053rd blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1955 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest