One actor worked with Texas Guinan and also in two motion pictures starring MAE WEST.
• • Born in Dobbs Ferry, New York on 16 June 1888, William B. Davidson launched his cinema career playing handsome leading men in silent films with Vitagraph in 1914 when he was 26.
• • Among his credits is "Queen of the Night Clubs" ; in his role as the Assistant District Attorney he was soundly lectured by the night club czarina Texas Guinan.
• • Nearly six-foot-two and with a strapping build, he was quite memorable as Ernest Brown in "I'm No Angel" , also billed as the sap.
• • Regularly cast as a man of authority in character roles, Davidson portrayed the sheriff in "My Little Chickadee," which co-starred Mae West and W.C. Fields.
• • William B. Davidson died in Santa Monica, California during the month of September — — on 28 September 1947 — — after surgery. He was 59 years old.
• • On 28 September 1974 • •
• • The colorful Mae West room in Dalí Theatre and Museum opened on 28 September 1974. The Mae West Lips Sofa made its first appearance in 1937.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said this: "Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • An article in The Guardian mentioned a visit to Mae West in Hollywood.
• • "There's nothing better in life than diamonds . . ."
• • Charlotte Chandler wrote about her interview with Mae West in Ravenswood Apts, Los Angeles, California, for London's newspaper The Guardian.
• • Charlotte Chandler told it like this: Mae West held out her hand to me. As I took it, I scratched my palm on one of her diamond rings. All of her fingers were covered with diamonds. These, she explained, were just her "daytime diamonds." Holding out her hands, she said, "They're all real. They were given to me by admirers." Her gaze settled on my unadorned hands. "Oh, you poor kid! You don't have any!" For a moment she regarded me with pity. Then she brightened. "But you have some at home?" I shook my head. She studied me, then said encouragingly, "You could, honey. But you've gotta try, and you've gotta know how to try. Knowing what you want is the first step toward getting it. There's nothing better in life than diamonds."
• • Charlotte Chandler continued: Mae West had been giving no interviews at all. She already knew all the people she wanted to know, especially in light of the hours she felt compelled to spend on hair, makeup and dress before she could see anyone. ...
• • Source: Article: "Mae West" written by Charlotte Chandler for The Guardian [U.K.]; posted on Friday, 21 September 2007
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started seven years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2067th blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • with William B. Davidson, 1933 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest