"Sex is good for you," says MAE WEST. And an interview published in The Australian Women's Weekly went with that provocative opening when they printed a profile of the controversial star. "I've never had anything to worry about," Mae assured the Aussie reporter. "It's always been success, success, success." This feature appeared on page 29 in the issue dated Wednesday, 31 July 1974.
• • In July 1997 • •
• • "Three Plays by Mae West: Sex, The Drag, The Pleasure Man" was published on 24 July 1997. It is a very interesting book assembled and edited by Lillian Schlissel, who also includes material from the original trial transcripts. Every Mae maven should get a copy.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "There are no good girls gone wrong — — just bad girls found out."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • On 1 July 1934, the censorship rule book (outlined in the Production Code) began to be seriously and meticulously put into effect. One person especially focused on was the comedienne Mae West.
• • Dear Mr Cohen, We have received the yellow script, dated July 29, 1937 ... for your production titled Mae West Musical, and I regret to be compelled to advise you that, in its present form, the material is not acceptable under the provisions of the Production Code. It is likewise enormously dangerous from the standpoint of political censorship . . . .
• • Source: Excerpt from a longer letter sent to Emanuel Cohen by Joseph Breen, who wrote to Paramount's studio head on 6 August 1937
• • 17 July 2004 — 17 July 2011 • •
• • In mid-July the Mae West Blog celebrates its seventh anniversary. Thank you to all those Mae-mavens who come up and see Mae every day.
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started seven years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2008th blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1937 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest