Bert Leighton received credit for writing the version of "Frankie and Johnny" sung by MAE WEST in "She Done Him Wrong" . This folksong is much older but it seems that he and his brother contributed some original material most suitable for the Lady Lou character.
• • Born in Beacher, Illinois on 28 December 1877, Bert Leighton was a composer and vaudeville song and dance man who collaborated with his brother Frank Leighton.
• • Supposedly, the 1912 version of "Frankie and Johnny" by the Leighton Brothers and Ren Shields identified "Nellie Bly" as the new girl to whom the roving Johnny has given his heart.
• • Bert Leighton died of cancer in San Francisco, California in the month of February — — on 10 February 1964.
• • Iconic Tonic After Myra B's Bitters • •
• • Farrah Fawcett, who had a bit part in "Myra Breckinridge" , which starred Mae West as Leticia Van Allen, was photographed a few years later in red swimwear for a 1976 poster that helped make the "Charlie's Angels" actress an instant sensation. That one-piece bathing suit was just donated to the Smithsonian's popular culture history collection.
• • Op-Ed columnist Meghan Daum writes: And while Farrah Fawcett could probably have worn a grocery bag and still dominated the wall art of teenage boys' rooms everywhere, it's hard to imagine that a bestselling swimsuit poster these days would be such a no-frills affair.
• • Not that there's anything new about that. Sexiness just keeps getting sexier, or at least more revealing. Clara Bow, the first It Girl, in the 1920s, looks like a veritable librarian compared with her 1930s successor Mae West, who in turn seems positively matronly compared to the 1940s' Betty Grable, who might as well be invisible next to come-hither Marilyn Monroe and Brigitte Bardot ... [Source: L.A. Times, 10 February 2011, byline Meghan Daum].
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1932 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest