The absurd Lady Gaga whisperings that the chart-topper might have a penis bring to mind the equally ridiculous speculations about MAE WEST decades ago.
• • Though critics never seem to wonder if a male performer might have a vagina tucked inside his trousers, the same columnists and dart-throwers have often compared Mae to a drag queen, hinting that the movie queen was really born a male.
• • At the time, Mae tossed out this curved ball to the press corps: “Well, was he for me — — or against me?”
• • When I die, you are going to be very surprised! • •
• • In connection with a special Pride show on Thursday, 24 June 2010 in Manhattan, Joan Rivers got a column devoted to her in The Villager, whose hard-working reporter asked the Botoxed-to-death comedienne if there was anything yet to be revealed. “Only for you,” Joan Rivers said, referring our plea for an exclusive nugget: “I am a man. Mae West did that all her life. Mae would say to her audiences, ‘When I die, you are going to be very surprised!' Then she died and there was no surprise — — but how clever.” [Source: The Villager, Volume 80, Number 4 | June 23 - 29, 2010.]
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest