In 1932 Chico Marx issued a challenge and MAE WEST, Clark Gable, Carole Lombard, and Gary Cooper were among silver screen luminaries who turned out in four busloads to watch the showdown at Muroc Dry Lake in the Mojave desert, north of Los Angeles, according to N.Y. Times reporter Jerry Garrett. Six years later, Muroc Dry Lake, now known as NASA's Edwards Air Force Base, was also the site of hot-roddings first major lakes professional event that took place back in 1938.
• • Test-driving the Marx Brothers' splendid 1928 Mercedes-Benz S 26/180 Boattail Speedster on a California speedway recently, Jerry Garrett explained: "The Mercedes-Benz is expected to be one of the stars of the auction blocks. It is largely in the same trim it was in 1932 when Chico Marx, the oldest of the comedic siblings, issued a challenge for a high-stakes match race against a Model J Duesenberg owned by a prominent Hollywood agent. ... The cars are to be offered for sale after the Pebble Beach Concours d’Élégance on August 15th." [Source: "Art to Go: Driving 3 Masterpieces" by Jerry Garrett, The N.Y. Times on 6 August 2010].
• • It was in New York City during the 1920s that Mae West applied for her first driver's license. She gave her birth year as 1900.
• • During this week, the MAE WEST BLOG will savor some more revealing commemorations of the screen queen by her long-time fans and collectors of Westiana.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest