Many Brooklynites worked with MAE WEST — — whether it was onstage or onscreen.
• • Born in Mae's hometown in early June was the versatile Gil Stratton [birthdate: 2 June 1922], who debuted at age 19 on Broadway as a buoyant song and dance man.
• • Most actors have had vocal training. Stratton's voice was noticed by CBS affiliate KNXT, who offered him steady work as the daily sportscaster. That job wound up lasting more than 20 years and earned him the reputation as one of the best sportscasters in the business.
• • Being in Los Angeles afforded the long-time radio man the opportunity to continue accepting roles in motion pictures — — often playing himself as an announcer — — most notably in Mae West's final film "Sextette" .
• • Gil Stratton succumbed to heart problems and passed away on 11 October 2008 in Toluca Lake, California at the age of 86.
• • Interestingly, more than a few of "Sextette's" cast members have a link to the month of June. Meet them in future installments of the MAE WEST BLOG.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1978 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest