Maybe MAE WEST ordered the roast beef or the oysters or the prime ribs, since she was (after all) a red-blooded kind of gal.
• • No record exists of exactly where she sat, if a fellow near her spat, or if the old-fashioned menu made New Yorkers fat. Patrons once included aristocrats, diplomats, and even downtown democrats. And every customer wore a hat in the days when Mae West and Jimmy Durante dined at the historic Gage and Tollner’s restaurant site at 372-374 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, New York.
• • On 21 January 2010, the famed dining hall will have "a soft opening" as Arby's — the franchise that once featured Mae West on a collectible drinking glass. Franchise owner Raymond Chera claimed that the Landmarks Commission only permitted them to make very minor changes. Does this mean the brass spittoons are still in place?
• • An official opening is scheduled for around Valentine's Day. We'll wait until what's "soft" gets hard.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest