MAE WEST had a curious example of matrimony before her eyes — — the uneasy union of Champagne Till and Battling Jack — — and it perhaps led her to comment: "Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution."
• • Initially, the young lovers forged a passionate bond. Mae explained, "My father had swept her off her feet." But Tillie's youthful transgressions and singular ambitions met an end with Jack West.
• • On 19 January 1889, in Greenpoint, Battling Jack West and Tillie Delker took their wedding vows before a local minister with Jack's sister Julia West acting as maid of honor.
• • On this date we remember the nuptials of Mr. and Mrs. John Patrick West, which blossomed and flowered in 1893 in the form of Baby Mae.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest