A 91-year-old usherette still remembers the time she seated ticket-holders for a live performance by MAE WEST on the West Coast.
• • Born during 1917 in San Francisco, Agnes Chan offered this recollection to a San Francisco Gate reporter: I started ushering when I was a student at San Francisco State. One of the courses had as a requirement that we do volunteer work at the Geary Theater. So I went and ushered for Mae West — — she was doing her one-woman show. I took a fellow to his seat and he tipped me a dollar. I thought, "Wow, that's great." ...
• • Constructed in 1909, and opened to the public on 10 January 1910, the 1,024-seat Beaux Arts auditorium has been a venue for performers of the likes of Mae West, Sarah Bernhardt, Helen Hayes, Isadora Duncan, Clark Gable, Laurence Olivier, Boris Karloff, and others.
• • The building is located here: 415 Geary Street [at Mason Street], San Francisco, CA 94108.
• • And speaking of live entertainment and tiered seating, on Thursday evening, 20 August 2009, you can enjoy a FREE showing of "She Done Him Wrong" , a motion picture classic starring Mae West and Cary Grant.
• • WHERE: Minneapolis Institute of Arts — — Pillsbury Auditorium [2400 3rd Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN; T. 612-870-3131].
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest