During her career, diamond diva MAE WEST loved to pile on the glitter — — thereby inspiring one man's career and personal outlook.
• • The famed costume jewelry designer Kenneth Jay Lane, now 77 years old, launched his career as a shoe designer.
• • However, as a little boy in Detroit, he said, he liked to draw and he had never planned to be a jewelry designer. And when he saw Mae West, wearing "lots and lots" of jewelry in a movie, he began to draw sketches of her. "I once drew a picture of my mother," he told a reporter. "She came out looking like Mae West."
• • Now enjoying a retrospective showing of his "Fabulous Fakes" collection in Long Island [at Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay], Kenneth Jay Lane is yukking it up with news men and dropping names to polish up his anecdotes.
• • Young Kenny from Michigan, totally fascinated by Diamond Lil, eventually found his stairway to success. And bling went the strings of some hearts.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest