Ecdysiast Dita Von Teese told The New York Times that her all-time heroine is MAE WEST, who also worked in burlesque once.
• • Personal hero: Mae West. There hasn’t been another actress in the world who wrote every line she ever said in a film.
• • Biggest misconception about burlesque: That it’s about dancing around in hot pants with feather boas. Burlesque was about the striptease. The stars of burlesque took their clothes off, end of story, period.
• • Hardest thing about stripping: To make it look effortless and natural.
• • Fanciest corset: It’s by Mr. Pearl, without a doubt the world’s most-sought-after corset maker. He lives in Paris, and all the couturiers go to him. He has an unmatched talent for creating the perfect wasp waist. Each corset requires between 6 and 20 fittings.
• • Michigan native Dita Von Teese [born 28 September 1972] excels at self-promotion. She used a brief relationship with Marilyn Manson (to whom she was married from 2005 — 2007) to pole vault herself into the Olympian realm among exotic take-off artists.
— — excerpt — —
• • Domains | Dita Von Teese, Show Stopper
• • Interview by EDWARD LEWINE
• • Published in: The New York Times
• • Published on: 30 March 2008
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •