Come up and see MAE in Boston, Massachusetts through 26 April 2008.
• • Inspired by the "smart, sexy, and sassy'' female pioneers who helped forged modern women's identities, Betsyann Duval drew "Super Models,'' 22 large-scale charcoal portraits that are currently on display at Bromfield Gallery in Boston.
• • Mae West is in the exhibition along with Edith Piaf, Bette Davis, Susan Sarandon, Hillary Clinton, Jackie Kennedy Onassis, and other notables. Working on her exhibit for two years, Duval drew a varied group of 32-by-40-inch portraits, including political activist Rosa Parks, choreographer Martha Graham, poet Anne Sexton, Italian actress Sophia Loren, and opera diva Marian Anderson.
• • Each portrait is accompanied by a direct quotation which Duval believes succinctly expresses her subject's essential character.
• • For the platinum bombshell Mae West, Duval chose: "To sin is human but it feels divine.''
• • "I am a woman above everything else" reads the quote from Jackie Kennedy Onassis.
• • The artist was quite enthused about selecting and sketching these iconic women. Duval said: "They have been so powerful and influential and helped women define their lives.''
• • Note: Betsyann Duval's "Super Models'' is on view at the Bromfield Gallery, 450 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02118 through 26 April 2008. Bromfield Gallery is Boston's oldest artist-owned gallery. Bromfield Gallery — — www.bromfieldgallery.com — — Tel 617-451-3605.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •