MAE WEST never went duck hunting with Dick Cheney. The actress never compared colorists with bottle blonde Valerie Plame. And though Mae exchanged Christmas cards with Libby Taylor, she never had "Scooter" Libby on her list. However, Mae did tangle with an FBI agent.
• • FBI files indicate that in 1935, Mae West received an extortion letter threatening to disfigure her with acid.
• • In 1943, Mae West, Betty Gable, Jack LaRue, and other Hollywood notables received additional extortion letters.
• • An eighteen-year-old male was apprehended trying to mail another letter in which he demanded $85,000. The extortionist — — from Omaha, Nebraska — — received a five-year sentence for the crime.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1934 • •