On Friday, 14 October 1932, MAE WEST was in the headlines. A bandit had thrust a revolver into her car. What a terrifying experience. United Press sent this item out acoss the nation.
• • "Diamond Lil" Robbed of Jewelry, Cash By Bandit • •
• Los Angeles, Oct. 13 [U.P.] — Police revealed today that. Mae West,
Broadway actress of "Diamond Lil" fame, was the victim of a robbery that
netted a lone bandit nearly $20,000 in jewelry and cash. The robbery,
reported secretly to police, occurred two weeks ago and has been the
object of a thorough investigation since that time.
• • Miss West
was returning home from a friend's house early in the evening of
September 28, 1932, when a man thrust a revolver into her car as it
slowed down to enter the driveway. He fled after obtaining the money and
• • On Monday, 16 October 1939 • •
• • When they
were collaborating on a screenplay, both Mae West and W. C. Fields
signed a Universal Films contract. The document is dated Monday, 16
• • From a letter by W.C. Fields • •
• • "I have been approached by Mae West to consider collaborating," wrote W.C. Fields in 1935. "But I want my
work to stand out individually. Besides Mae has the wrong slant on this
thing [i.e., the bed]. She says she does her best writing in bed. Well, I
do my best loafing there, and consider that this is the primary purpose
of a bed."
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • Mae West managed zest and direction and vision at 80, so age has nothing to do with it.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "Marilyn Monroe was a synthetic star. A copy of me. I never met her, but I OK'd her for my life story."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • The Desert Sun mentioned Mae West.
• • "Mae West to Be Replaced by Jayne Mansfield?" • •
• Hollywood (UPI) — Mae West had an Icy “no comment” today to reports
that the Mae West life jacket (a flotation device widely used during
WW2) is being replaced by a new streamlined model, the Jayne Mansfield. .
• • Source: Item in Desert Sun; published on Monday, 5 October 1959
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 13th anniversary • •
• • Thank
you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during these
past thirteen years. Not long ago, we entertained 3,497 visitors. And we reached a
milestone recently when we completed 3,800 blog posts. Wow!
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started thirteen years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 3810th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • in 1940 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West