Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Mae West: Ghost Roommate



MAE WEST hosted numerous seances first in New York and then in California. As our readers prepare for Hallowe'en, let us enjoy some rumblings reported by Ravenswood tenants about the unusual encounters with Mae, who was a believer in the spiritual world.
• • This is Part 3 of 3 parts.  We hope you got some thrills and chills here.
• • "My Haunted Hollywood" by Brandi Neal • •
• • David North suspected this was Mae West's ghost • •
• • Brandi Neal wrote:  David North also reported that on a separate occasion a "computer-generated, slow-motion miniature tornado" rose from an electrical outlet. "I sat down and watched it for 45 minutes," he noted. Once North was sure he was living with Mae West's ghost he made concessions to make her feel more at home, even throwing her a 105th birthday party.
• • Brandi Neal wrote:   After my freaky experience, I changed my room around to be more fen shui, used crystals and sage to clear the energy of the apartment, and said out loud that I did not wish to engage with whomever was lurking in my doorway. Say what you will about that sounding super new age-y, but the apparition never came back. Since I was not able to find the history of who lived in my apartment, which was down the hall from Mae West's, I just wanted it to leave me alone.
• • Source:  "My Haunted Hollywood" written by Brandi Neal for Bustle; posted on Sunday, 1 October 2017.
• • Saturday, 25 October 1930 • •
• • In their issue dated for Saturday, 25 October 1930, Publishers Weekly announced the clever contest Mae West's publisher Macauley came up with to draw more attention to her novel titled "Babe Gordon." 
• • Asking a reader to rename it, Macauley offered a prize of $100. The winning title was "The Constant Sinner."
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • Mae West said when you have a magic that does something for you, honey, stick with it. Never change It.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said:   "I think everyone should be allowed to see my movies."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • A California daily mentioned Mae West.
• • Cute Sayings by Movie Stars • •
• • NOTE — These gems of wisdom were all culled from actual quotations attributed to the principals by studio publicity writers.
• • Mae West said:   "Of course, I was simply dressing in a way that would show my own rounded figure. And naturally I chose gowns that would show me off to the best advantage. I guess some of the big fashion designers over in Paris figured that women would look a whole lot better in clothes which would reveal their natural figures."  . . .
• • Source:  item in the Corsair; published on Wednesday, 25 October 1933

• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 13th anniversary • •  
• • Thank you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during these past thirteen years. Not long ago, we entertained 3,497 visitors. And we reached a milestone recently when we completed 3,800 blog posts. Wow!   
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started thirteen years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 3817th blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.

• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
________

Source:http://maewest.blogspot.com/atom.xml   

• • Photo:
• • Mae West • book cover in 1930

• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
  Mae West

No comments:

Post a Comment