The Mae West Blog wishes all our visitors a hot and happy Fourth of July — — and take a moment to note on your calendar that the next MAE WEST Birthday Gala in New York City will be on Wednesday evening, 13 August 2014 in Greenwich Village. Save the date and don't be late to a festive event held in an extraordinary place that Mae visited several times.
• • On Saturday, 4 July 1970 • •
• • While the motion picture "Myra Breckinridge" was not a hit, the media exposure engendered a "Mae West revival," explained The New York Post on Saturday, 4 July 1970. Guess they must have attended the premiere and watched as 10,000 fans swarmed the streets outside the theatre, screaming for Mae West (and ignoring Raquel what's-her-name).
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • "The Memphis Blues," W. C. Handy's famous song, is revived again. This time it's featured in Mae West's picture, "Belle of the Nineties." Tom Berwick and his orchestra are the recorders of it, and they have a very pleasurable arrangement.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "My play 'Sex' was a work of art."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • An article by United Press discussed Mae West.
• • "New York Gets Badly Shocked by New Drama" • •
• • NEW YORK, Oct. (UP) — Forty police shuddered as they heard the lines of Broadway's latest theatrical venture, "The Pleasure Man" and today Mae West, the author, with 55 members of the cast and the musicians are out on bond after being charged with presenting an obscene play.
• • Mae West, it may be recalled, served a 10-day sentence [sic] in the workhouse two years ago for presenting and starring in the play "Sex," which she wrote. . . .
• • Source: Syndicated feature by United Press rpt on page 1 of The Circleville Herald; published on Tuesday, 2 October 1928
• • The infamous raid at the Biltmore Theatre in 1928 is dramatized in the stage play "Courting Mae West" by LindaAnn Loschiavo.
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 10th anniversary • •
• • Thank you for reading, sending us questions, and posting comments during this past decade.
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started ten years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2950th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • headlines in 1928 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West