The District Attorney of New York gave MAE WEST such a hard time that, when she met his nephew Travis Banton in Hollywood, she was apprehensive. Mae first became acquainted with the Banton clan, however, when her Broadway plays were shuttered thanks to Travis's uncle, Joab Banton. The legendary lawyer also pursued dramatist Eugene O'Neill.
• • Joab Hamilton Banton [27 August 1869 — 20 July 1949] • •
• • Joab Hamilton Banton hailed from Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. He was New York County's District Attorney from 1922 to 1929.
• • He died on Wednesday, 20 July 1949. The New York Times announced his death with a front page headline: "Joab H. Banton, Once Prosecutor, District Attorney of New York in 1922—29 Dies — — Handled Rothstein Murder Case."
• • Learn more about him at the event on August 13, 2014. See below.
• • On Friday, 18 July 1952 • •
• • The headline on July 18th read: "Mae Gets Mae West." Here's the article.
• • New York, Thursday — Mae West, reversing her usual procedure, came up to Groton submarine base to see the United States Navy. She was given a Mae West life jacket. Hundreds of sailors at the base whooped and shouted when Miss West hove into view.
• • The actress came as the Navy's honored guest for the unveiling of the latest model "Mae West" jacket. The new jackets were made of an orange-red material, visible at great distances at sea.
• • "I like the new color," Miss West said. "It's so desirable. I understand they can be seen from a great distance. That's another thing we have in common."
• • Mae considered it a great honor • •
• • Miss West said she considered it a great honor to have men all over the world wearing the Jackets. "After all, men is my business," she added.
• • Three sailors demonstrated the jackets by leaping from a wharf into the water and then the actress was presented with one of the jackets.
• • Source: Australia's Barrier Miner, on page 9, published on Friday, 18 July 1952.on July 16th
• • Save the Date: Wednesday, August 13th • •
• • Wednesday, 13 August 2014 will be the next Mae West Tribute in Manhattan and the event will start at 6:30 pm at 425 Sixth Avenue. The theme will be: "Mae West in Bohemia — — Gin, Sin, Censorship, and Eugene O'Neill."
• • Details: August 13th event details
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • Interviewing Mae West is rather like talking with the Sphinx or warming up to the Mona Lisa. You are so filled with awe at conversing with one of the Wonders of the World, and with admiration of the ultimate in symbolic sex sorcery, that addlement may easily set in.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "I am not going to hand over half of my movie fee every time I make a picture to a man I was married to for five minutes."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • An article in a Singapore newspaper discussed Mae West and printed a photo of her next to her groom flashing her wedding ring.
• • "Mae West Married" • •
• • Los Angeles — — Miss Mae West, film actress, has admitted that she is married. In an answer submitted in the Superior Court here to a suit brought by Mr. Frank Wallace, the actress admits that she married the actor many years ago. ...
• • Source: Article reprinted by The Straits Times; published on Sunday, 18 July 1937
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 10th anniversary • •
• • Thank you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during this past decade.
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started ten years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2960th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • August 13th event image • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West