MAE WEST, gamely lifting weights in her bedroom, wearing a bathing suit, and showing off her petite figure — — recently New York Magazine reprinted a dozen pictures of women keeping their shape in days gone by.
• • Sally Holmes wrote: For an extra boost of inspiration, we put together a slideshow of vintage ladies doing their version of exercising. From Marilyn Monroe raising a baton (or, according to the photo caption, "Walking is the only exercise Marilyn takes to keep her figure at its present proportions, perfect enough to win her the title 'Miss Cheesecake'") to Mae West lifting weights, see the best images of women working out. ...
• • Source: Photo feature: "40 Vintage Ladies in Ye Olde Workout Gear" written by Sally Holmes for New York Magazine; issue dated for Thursday, 2 January 2014.
• • Happy Birthday on the 29th of January • •
• • Happy Birthday to actress Ann Jillian (born on Sunday, 29 January 1950), who portrayed Mae West in the 1982 TV bio-pic of the same name. Jillian was 32 when she starred in "Mae West" on the small screen.
• • Happy Birthday to actor Tom Selleck (born on Monday, 29 January 1945). It's been said by a few people that Mae West first noticed Tom Selleck in a Pepsi commercial. She was responsible for getting Selleck cast as The Stud in "Myra Breckenridge"  when he was 25 years old.
• • On Monday, 29 January 1917 in Brooklyn • •
• • Mae West was a witness at her younger sister's wedding, which took place on a weekday, Monday, 29 January 1917 in Brooklyn City Hall, not far from the West family's Brooklyn residence.
• • On Sunday, 29 January 1978 in Sunday Express • •
• • Since "Sextette" had a British director, articles discussing what happened on the set in Hollywood popped up in the British tabloids. An article discussing a scene filmed in a mock elevator appeared in Sunday Express on 29 January 1978.
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • Abe Meyer of Meyer Synchronizing Service has signed a contract with Paramount to furnish the music rights on "Samson and Delilah" for the new Mae West picture. Meyer is also doing the musical backgrounds for the Edward Small production, "Let 'Em Have It," and for Monogram's "Honeymoon Limited," "The Healer," and "The Keeper of the Bees."
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "I didn't have to learn about 'bad' women as every woman knows how 'bad' a woman could be if she makes up her mind to it."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • The Mirror mentioned Mae West.
• • "Mae West Should Eat Salads, Says Diet Specialist" • •
• • The Mirror wrote: Herr Benjamin P. Hauser, a Vienna diet specialist, has arrived in New York from Europe with some bold warnings and piquant prescriptions for some of the world's leading film stars. ...
• • Mae West, Hauser declared, is the typical 'vital woman' but ''she must guard against becoming overweight. She should go in strongly for salads and fruit juices.' Miss Katharine Hepburn, under-nourished, needs building up," added Herr Hauser. ...
• • Source: Mirror (Perth, Australia); published on Saturday, 18 April 1936
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started nine years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2842nd blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • exercising in her bedroom • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West