MAE WEST was in an amusing scene with Mahlon Hamilton. He was cast as a sideshow spectator in the opening scene of "I'm No Angel" , one of the men pressing closer to ogle Tira in her hilariously over-the-top "Little Egypt" costume.
• • Born in Virginia on 15 June 1880, Mahlon Hamilton launched his movie career in 1914 and was seen in numerous featured roles for the next two decades. In 1929, he took part in "Honky Tonk," starring Sophie Tucker. After 1934, however, he often got work but mostly as an extra. Increasingly, he was patched into the background as a party guest, doorman, pedestrian, musician, doorman, businessman, etc. He worked in Hollywood films until 1950 when he was 70 years old; he has 98 big-screen titles to his credit. Stricken by cancer, the busy bit part player also died in the month of June — — on 20 June 1960 — — in Woodland Hills, California shortly after his 80th birthday.
• • "I'm No Angel" Blooper • •
• • During a close-up when Tira looks through a pile of phonograph records with different titles ("That Dallas Man," "That Frisco Man," etc.), all of the labels have same serial number.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Tira: What do you do for a living?
• • Ernest Brown: Oh, uh, sort of a politician.
• • Tira: I don't like work either.
• • [Source: Mae West wrote her own lines for "I'm No Angel," 1933.]
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • Is that Mae West disguised on a pack of Camels?
• • A recent article draws awareness to a few ‘hidden secrets’ on the Camel cigarettes pack. One is the mysterious ‘man/ woman in the Camel leg.’ According to urban legend, the front leg of the Camel on the packet in fact contains a woman standing with her hands on her hips (highlighted and labeled for your convenience). That’s what some people think. Others see a man, the Belgian ‘peeing boy’ and even Mae West! . ..
• • Source: Article: "Conspiracy: Smoke and mirrors" written by staff for The Express Tribune, Sunday Magazine; posted on 19 June 2011
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started seven years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 1967th blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1933 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest