MAE WEST was arrested on 9 February 1927 along with the cast of "Sex," the cast of "The Virgin Man," and the cast of "The Captive."
• • • • Playing the role of Mr. Clean, attempting to disinfect the sewer Broadway had become, New York City's Acting Mayor Joseph V. McKee made sure the news men were informed the night before.
• • After 10:00 PM, Helen Menken, Dorothy Hall, and Mae West were charged with "contributing to a common nuisance" and "obscene exhibition" and found themselves face to face with each other and answerable to Magistrate John Flood Wells, who set bail at $1,000 each.
• • On February 10th, the local newspapers actually focused more on Miss Hall and Miss Menken than on Mae West, who was still an unknown and not the Broadway star Helen Menken was during the 1920s.
• • The raid and arrest in 1927 are dramatized in the full-length play "Courting Mae West." Watch a scene on YouTube. This is a copyrighted image from the Courting Mae West Comic Book; the original is in color.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 2 February 1927 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest