Veteran MAE WEST impressionist Jim Bailey will perform at London's Shaw Theatre in early September.
• • The Philadelphia native was born on 10 January 1949. By 1970 Jim Bailey was on all the major talk and variety shows worldwide. In mid-April 1999, the 40-year-old actor had the title role in "Mae West at the Club El Fey." The show was booked for a six-week run at the Penguin Repertory Theater in Stony Point [30 miles upriver from Manhattan in Rockland County].
• • Here is the coverage from The New York Times [18 April 1999]:
• • Portraying Mae West • •
• • Jim Bailey, an actor, singer, and comedian who has entertained audiences from London to Los Angeles with his portrayals of Barbra Streisand, Judy Garland and Peggy Lee, has the title role in a new musical called ''Mae West at the Club El Fey.'' It opens at the Penguin Repertory Theater in Stony Point, NY on Thursday and runs through May 30 .
• • Music and lyrics are by Ellen May Schwartz and Bonnie Lee Sanders, and the book is by Joe Brancato, artistic director of the Penguin Rep and director of the production.
• • ''Mae West at the Club El Fey'' — — When the play opens, set in a Manhattan speak-easy on the night before her departure for a new career in Hollywood, Mae West has already spent time in jail at Rikers Island [sic], charged with indecency and corrupting the morals of the young. . . .
• • Penguin Rep, founded in 1977, is housed in a vintage, air-conditioned barn converted to a theater with 108 seats [7 Crickettown Road, Stony Point, NY].
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •