Named in honor of MAE WEST was The Mae West Fest [1996—2007].
• • The Mae West Fest had been an annual festival and celebration of women as playwrights, producers, directors, and performers. Operating on a shoe-string budget and fed by e big dreams, The Mae West Fest began a decade ago out of the need for theatre that helped nurture and challenge local women artists and playwrights in Seattle, Washington.
• • The Mae West Fest sprang from the need to have more women's work onstage in the Pacific northwest area. In 1996 founders Heidi Heimarck and Elena Hartwell were discussing the upcoming season for a small Seattle fringe company and realized that they had a pile of scripts by written by women, about 10 seasons worth. From July 31 to August 3, 1997, Seattle got its first glimpse at the festival filled with a lot of female artistic power.
• • Last year The Mae West Fest announced its first "Female Protagonist Contest," which was an invitation for female dramatists to submit full-length plays for consideration.
• • Funding has dried up, unfortunately, and The Mae West Fest 's home page — — www.maewestfest.org — — apologized for its sudden demise.
• • Is original theatre by women dead? Any visionaries out there?
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • none • •