MAE WEST, who loved animals all her life, owned three racehorses. Their names were Art Dillon and Chuck Vonian (two pacers), and Lucky Watts (a trotter). Let’s enjoy this news coverage.
• • Mae West Enters Horses • •
• • The harness race program is to be featured by three entries of Mae West, movie actress, who sent a signed check entering Art Dillon and Chuck Vonian, pacers, and Lucky Watts, a trotter.
• • Art Dillon, Chuck Vonian, Lucky Watts • •
• • The entry, said Miller, was the first received and in a letter of acknowledgement to the actress, Miller invited her to attend the fair and ride a champion horse in the $1,000,000 stock parade, one of the biggest events of the fair. In a letter, Miller, a hog raiser from Fontana, invited Miss West to "come and see me sometime." The racing program will be one of the big attractions.
• • Source: Item in The Press Democrat [Santa Rosa, California]; published on Thursday, 3 September 1936.
• • On Tuesday, 6 December 1994 • •
• • It was on Tuesday, 6 December 1994 that Christie's New York held an auction listed as "Film and Television Memorabilia." One light-hearted Mae West item was "A box of approximately 120 red, white, and blue poker chips; a deck of cards from the Roosevelt Hotel." This lot of goodies was sold for $345.00 and now the deck is stacked at someone's house.
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • Mae West starred in "I'm No Angel"  and Tom London was seen briefly as a sideshow spectator.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "I have just seen that RAF flyers have a life-saving jacket they call a "Mae West" because it bulges in all the "right places."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • A Glasgow daily paper mentioned Mae West.
• • Jody Harrison reported: Recently launched, Herald Picture Store is an online shop window into one of Britain’s largest archives of news and sports photographs which enables readers to buy prints, framed or mounted.
• • More than 200 of the best pictures are now available, covering such themes as celebrities, holidays, work, people, transport and places, with more to follow.
• • The celebrity photographs include Cary Grant, Sonny Liston and Mae West, while football photographs range from Celtic manager Jock Stein with the European Cup in 1967 . .
• • Source: The Herald (Scotland); published on Tuesday, 21 November 2017
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 13th anniversary • •
• • Thank
you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during these
past thirteen years. Not long ago, we entertained 3,497 visitors. And we reached a
milestone recently when we completed 3,800 blog posts. Wow!
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started thirteen years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 3847th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • on horseback in 1935 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West