Whenever she was asked if she was making a comeback, MAE WEST denied it, explaining that she had "never been away." Which was certainly true. Therefore, we have to wonder what her reaction might have been upon seeing this headline in 1951.
• • "Mae West considers movie comeback offer" • •
• • From Lee Carroll in Hollywood
• • Lee Carroll wrote: Still earning about £2500 per week from the Broadway production of "Diamond Lil," which is more than she ever made in films [sic], Mae West is said to be toying with the idea of making a movie comeback. If she accepts the role that movie moguls have in mind for her, Mae will appear as the mother of — — guess who?? — — Jane Russell.
• • Source: The Australian Women's Weekly; published on Wednesday, 26 November 1951.
• • On Sunday, 16 August 1964 • •
• • An article "Return Engagement" appeared in The New York Times on Sunday, 16 August 1964. Plans were then in the works for Mae to be featured on the TV sit-com "Mister Ed" for a second episode. Mae was to have played a saloon keeper. However, this TV project — — a return to co-star again with TV's talking horse — — fizzled out, it seems.
• • In real life, Mae West loved animals and her father taught his young daughter to ride a horse way back in Mae's Brooklyn days.
• • Renee Taylor to play Mae West • •
• • Actress and comedienne Renee Taylor, currently touring nationally with her solo stage show "My Life on a Diet," will soon be seen in her new one-woman show "Wild Wild Mae West" — — portraying Mae West, announced Broadway World.
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • Mae West is taking a firm line with her magnificent collection of diamonds, reputed to be worth half-a-million dollars.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "A man in love is like a clipped coupon — it’s time to cash in."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • An Australian article discussed Mae West.
• • "Mae West Whispers" • •
• • According to latest reports from Hollywood, Mae West's tastes in art are simple. In her gold-and-white apartment in the fashionable Ravenswood in Hollywood, Mae has but one picture in the front room. It is a painting of herself, a bit au naturel, and it is labelled "Sex."
• • Source: The Australian Women's Weekly; published on Saturday, 27 June 1936
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 13th anniversary • •
• • Thank
you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during these
past eleven years. Not long ago, we entertained 3,497 visitors. And we reached a
milestone recently when we completed 3,700 blog posts. Wow!
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started thirteen years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 3767th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • in 1963 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West