MAE WEST, a resident of California by 1937, bristled when she heard a former spouse was going after her earnings and asking the court to "divide their community property" — — when she had not seen the guy for more than 25 years. Let's see how she handled it.
• • "Husband of Mae West — — Marriage Valid" • •
• • LOS ANGELES, July 16. The Court has given a ruling in favour ot Mr. Frank Wallace, declaring valid his marriage with the film actress Miss Mae West.
• • [After Miss West had denied for many years that she had ever been married, she admitted earlier this month that Mr. Wallace, a vaudeville performer, became her husband 26 years ago. The admission was made as the result of the suit brought by Mr. Wallace to compel her to admit their relationship and divide their community property, which he alleged exceeded 100,000 dollars (about £20,000). Miss West denied that she had ever lived with her husband, and alleged that he had married again without obtaining a divorce from her.]
• • Source: Item in The Argus (Melbourne); published on Monday, 19 July 1937.
• • On Friday, 18 July 1952 • •
• • The headline on July 18th read: "Mae Gets Mae West." Here's the scoop.
• • New York, Thursday — Mae West, reversing her usual procedure, came up to Groton submarine base to see the United States Navy. She was given a Mae West life jacket. Hundreds of sailors at the base whooped and shouted when Miss West hove into view.
• • The actress came as the Navy's honored guest for the unveiling of the latest model "Mae West" jacket. The new jackets were made of an orange-red material, visible at great distances at sea.
• • "I like the new color," Miss West said. "It's so desirable. I understand they can be seen from a great distance. That's another thing we have in common."
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • Variety wrote: Other ambitious musicals coming along include "Sapphire Sal" with Mae West; "Chocolate Parade," all-sepia tuner for which an attempt is being made to corral all the top available Negro talent.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "Sex is emotion in motion."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • A Singapore paper mentioned Mae West.
• • "Mae West Married" • •
• • Mr. Emanuel Cohen, the producer, intends to begin his new Mae West picture "Sapphire Sal" on August 1st. He fears that if Mr. Wallace gets a court ruling giving him half Mae's property, she will retire immediately.
• • Mr. Cohen quotes Mae as saying, "I'm not going to hand over 50% every time I make a picture on what is merely a technical legal point." ...
• • Source: Item in The Straits Times; published on Sunday, 18 July 1937
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 12th anniversary • •
• • Thank
you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during these
past twelve years. The other day we entertained 3,497 visitors. And we
reached a milestone recently when we completed 3,400 blog posts. Wow!
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started twelve years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 3488th
Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a
newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the
mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and
career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • in 1937 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West