In a recent interview, William Friedkin confirmed he's still attached to MAE WEST.
• • Asked about the "Mae West biopic for HBO," William Friedkin told Jessica Kiang: That's being written now by man called Doug McGrath who wrote, with Woody Allen, "Bullets over Broadway." And there's a wonderful Broadway musical he wrote called "Beautiful" with Carole King's songs. He's writing a brief period in the life of Mae West, which we're doing with Bette Midler. I believe that'll probably be the next thing I do. ...
• • Source: Interview by Jessica Kiang for IndieWire; published on Monday, July 21, 2014.
• • In August 1935 • •
• • An article "Mae West Talks about Her Marriage," written by Kirtley Baskette, was published in Photoplay's issue dated for August 1935. The article starts on page 39 and continues with Mae's fervent denials of any relationship with Frank Wallace.
• • On Sunday, 1 August 1937 • •
• • Frank Wallace, the man Mae West wed in April 1911 but ditched soon after, seemed to have the best memory in the world. Or so he convinced the Los Angeles reporter who sat down with him for this lengthy interview published in Singapore on Sunday, 1 August 1937.
• • Reading the page 1 article, "Mae West's Romance Told by Husband," you would think Mae has the same determined let's-march-down-the-aisle outlook on relationships that rings true for the Harlequin romance audience. Ummm, well, that's Frank's story anyway.
• • Source: Article: "Mae West's Romance Told by Husband" printed in The Straits Times (Singapore); published on Sunday, 1 August 1937.
• • On Sunday, 1 August 1971 • •
• • Mae West was featured in Parade Magazine in their issue dated for Sunday, 1 August 1971.
• • Save the Date: Wednesday, August 13th • •
• • Wednesday, 13 August 2014 will be the next Mae West Tribute in Manhattan and the event will start at 6:30 pm at 425 Sixth Avenue. The theme will be: "Mae West in Bohemia — — Gin, Sin, Censorship, and Eugene O'Neill."
• • Details: August 13th event
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • After the Hollywood newcomer's death, Mark Hellinger noted: “I found Dorothy Dell pretty, very pert and had a sweet smile. Everything Dorothy said and did was offered in a Mae West sort of way — — a very young Mae West-ish sort of way. And Mae didn’t reach the screen until long after that Follies had closed.”
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "Sex is an emotion in motion."
• • Mae West said: "Good sex is like good bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • An article in a newspaper mentioned Mae West.
• • "Mae West Takes To Flying" • •
• • A member of the British Coastal Command, who painted a curvaceous image of Mae West in costume on his parachute equipment, nicknamed "the Mae West," was featured. Yes, he admitted he was a big fan of the screen siren.
• • Source: Auckland Star, Volume LXXII, Issue 180; published on Friday, 1 August 1941
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 10th anniversary • •
• • Thank you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during this past decade.
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started ten years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2970th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • in 1937 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West