MAE WEST has inspired a singer to plan a tribute performance.
• • Molly Ryan "Come Up and See Me Sometime" is billed as a "Cheeky Tribute to Mae West." You can see it at Birdland on Monday, 1 September 2014.
• • Birdland is in Manhattan: 315 West 44th Street, New York, NY 10036.
• • On Tuesday, 14 August 1984 • •
• • It was on 2 May 1982 that the TV bio-pic "Mae West" had its small screen premiere starring actress Ann Jillian in the title role. The two-hour program was re-broadcast on ABC television at 9:00 PM on Tuesday, 14 August 1984 (following the excitement of the U.S. Olympics).
• • Remembering the May 1982 production, New York Times critic Richard F. Shepard had these comments two years later. Shepard wrote: ''Mae West'' was originally seen in 1982, long enough ago in these fast- moving times to almost qualify the show as a revival rather than as another summer re-run. It is reasonable programming, a show about a torrid actress in matching weather. It is also a drama that is satisfactory television, not earth-shaking, but one that is particularly admirable because it gives us a chance to see Ann Jillian portray the immortal Miss West. ...
• • Source: Written by New York Times critic Richard F. Shepard and published on Tuesday, 14 August 1984.
• • On Wednesday, 13 August 2014 • •
• • Wednesday, 13 August 2014 was the annual Mae West Tribute in Manhattan and there was an overflow crowd at Jefferson Market Library. We'll post more details soon but here is a photo of the lucky prizewinners. Both people who are pictured with the speaker, LindaAnn Loschiavo, are long-time residents of Greenwich Village.
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • A novel written by Miss Mae West, the film star, has been banned in Australia.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "I told them — — you can't take white people and play black music."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • A chapter in a book mentioned Mae West.
• • Joanna E. Rapf wrote: Myrna Loy, Mae West, Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard, and Jean Arthur excelled in spoken comedy, spouting one-liners and verbally sparring with their male co-stars. ...
• • Source: A Companion to Film Comedy, ed. Joanna E. Rapf and Andrew Harmon; published in 2012
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 10th anniversary • •
• • Thank you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during this past decade.
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started ten years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2980th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • Mae West fans, 2014 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West