• • Randy Shilts wrote: A procession of musclemen in satin bikinis slowly walks from the wings, like a train of young virgins clearing the way for a grand potentate. Then the tip of a white feathered boa, the sparkle of diamond rings, bracelets, and the rhinestoned sleeve of a white satin floor-length gown and Mae West, one of our last dwindling supply of silver screen starlets-cum-living legends, saunters slowly across the stage. ...
• • On Sunday, 27 November 1932 in Hollywood • •
• • Jon Tuska, writing about "She Done Him Wrong," notes that production commenced on Sunday, 27 November 1932, and concluded in December of that year. Fast work!
• • On Friday, 27 November 1936 in Princeton, NJ • •
• • The Daily Princetonian Special Bulletin announced (on page 2) on Friday, 27 November 1936 that a local moviehouse, the Arcade Theatre was showing "today and tomorrow Mae West in 'Go West Young Man' with Warren William, Alice Brady, Randolph Scott, Lyle Talbot" and the show times.
• • On Tuesday, 27 November 2007 • •
• • Released by the U.K. publisher St. Martin's Griffin on Tuesday, 27 November 2007 was "Mae West: It Ain't No Sin" by the biographer Simon Louvish. The paperback edition had 491 pages.
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • By the way, Mae is now working on her new contract by the terms of which she gets $100,000 a picture. They also say that the curvaceous one also gets about half that amount again for providing her own story and, be it known, Mae won't stand for anybody's writing stories for her pictures but Mae.
• • Well, it's quite an achievement, and you must hand it to Mae.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "Jimmy Cagney is the only one in Hollywood that's got anything like my style. Animal personality. Gives them the rough stuff right out like I do."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • Voice of America discussed Mae West and her play "Diamond Lil."
|Actor and comic Jim Gallagher|
• • Source: "People in America" on Voice of America; this program was written and produced by Dana Demange; undated
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started nine years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2797th blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • "Diamond Lil" revival cast member
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West