There is a new award in Canada and it was named after MAE WEST.
• • These lovely ladies, all of them hospital volunteers, had to demonstrate the responsibility, initiative, and ingenuity that would characterize a Mae West award nominee.
• • CountyLive.ca wrote: The Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital Auxiliary honoured its many volunteers and nine recipients of the first “Mae West Award” on Sunday (21 April 2013) at a Volunteer Appreciation Tea held at St. Andrew’s church in Wellington. The new award honours volunteers who possess the qualities of the famous diva. Bravissimo!
• • On Friday, 1 May 1936 in Hollywood • •
• • It was on Friday, 1 May 1936, that Claude Shull, San Francisco Motion Picture Council, wrote to Paramount Pictures and sent a copy of his dissatisfaction to Mae West.
• • Claude Shull explained his viewpoint: "Any picture that presents its heroine as a mistress to an Oriental, then as a murderess, then as a cheap imitator of a missionary — — jazzing up religion — — is not in harmony with the other educational forces of our social set-up. And these elements are particularly objectionable when they are interspersed with smutty wise-cracks." Uh-oh.
• • On Tuesday, 1 May 1956 • •
• • "Mae West Says Every Man Has Sex Appeal," trumpeted the headlines around the country in Tuesday newspapers on 1 May 1956.
• • At the time, the Brooklyn bombshell was making the rounds on New York City's night club circuit and hitting other venues with her muscleman act. And the press obliged by pumping out interviews.
• • Commenting that sometimes men who are not good-looking are even sexier than Clark Gable, Mae said, "Mr. Eisenhower's a leader, and a leader has drive and decision and power, and that makes a man a man."
• • "Adlai Stevenson and Estes Kefauver have got it, too," Mae said.
• • The actress added that she is "strictly nonpartisan" in her views on the male species.
• • On Thursday, 1 May 1997 in Interview Magazine • •
• • In their issue dated for Thursday, 1 May 1997 Interview Magazine saluted Mae West. This May-timed issue focused on a new biography that had made a splash – – penned by the California poet Emily Wortis Leider. A highly recommended biography this is. Emily Wortis Leider trained and tamed her prose through her years of writing verse and it shows. A must-have book for the Mae-maven.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "Love means one thing to one's parents and something else to another. lt's a more or less powerful emotion beyond ordinary human control. Try it yourself sometime and you'll get what I mean."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • An Australian publication mentioned Mae West.
• • "Mae West's Casino Las Vegas, Nevada" • •
• • Mae West will visit Las Vegas soon to complete plans for building a gambling casino and restaurant. She will be featured in floor shows at the new establishment, which will be named "Mae West's Diamond Lil Casino Restaurant." Her lawyer Charles Catt announced today that Mae West would be a featured attraction in the casino's floor shows. ...
• • Source: Item in The Canberra Times; published on Tuesday, 30 May 1950
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started eight years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2639th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1954 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West