The television movies for the week of November 13 — 19, 2011 will include two screen gems by MAE WEST. Both were originally released by Paramount Pictures and featured Cary Grant. Mae was given script credit.
• • "I'm No Angel" [1933, 1 hour, 45 mins.] starring Mae West will be broadcast on TCM on Wednesday, 16 November 2011 at 12:45 A.M.
• • "She Done Him Wrong" [1933, 1 hour, 15 mins.] starring Mae West will be broadcast on TCM on Wednesday, 16 November 2011 at 11:30 P.M. Note: This film will be aired as a "closed captioned" feature for the hearing impaired.
• • On 13 November 1975 • •
• • Jon Tuska's lavishly illustrated book "Films of Mae West" was published by Citadel in 1973. The first edition sold out. The second run was released on 13 November 1975. If you are a true Mae-maven then you must get a copy.
• • In November 2007 • •
• • In California, the Aurora Theatre Company staged a formidable revival of "Sex" starring Delia MacDougall as Margie LaMont, a role Mae wrote for herself. The critically acclaimed production was extended twice.
• • On 13 November 2007, The San Francisco Chronicle ran a review. The title was "Aurora Theatre beds Mae West's 'Sex'" and sitting at the Drama Desk was Robert Hurwitt, Chronicle Theater Critic. Actor Steve Irish co-starred as the play's leading man.
• • Robert Hurwitt wrote: Mae West wasn't the first to discover that sex sells, but she was the first to put it on a Broadway marquee. As she was being hauled off to jail with her cast, she told a reporter she thought it would be the making of her. It was. Within a few years of the 1926 opening of "Sex," which ran for almost a year before it was busted, she was in Hollywood and one of America's best-known and highest-paid stars. ...
• • In November 2009 in Chicago • •
• • Mae West's play "Sex" was shown in Chicago until 21 November 2009. The production was staged by the Prologue Theatre Company and performed here: North Lakeside Cultural Center [6219 N. Sheridan Avenue in Chicago].
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said this about nudity: "There's nothing sexy about nudity. Anybody can take off their clothes."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • A gossip column by Louella Parsons mentioned Mae West.
• • Louella Parsons writes: How Hollywood did buzz today when it was whispered that Mae West was booked for a concert tour and would sing and do an act similar to the Harry Lauder sketches. ...
• • Source: Column: "Mae West Booked for Concert Tour" written by Louella Parsons for The San Antonio Light; published on 12 July 1937
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started seven years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2113th blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1933 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest