Take off your hat to wardrobe wiz Edith Head [born 28 October 1897 – – died 24 October 1981] whose lengthy Hollywood career earned her 34 Academy Awards nominations.
She won an Oscar eight times - - all for helping MAE WEST and others don their gay apparel for memorable scenes in big movies.
• • With no experience, Edith Head answered an ad for a job at Paramount Studios. Legend has it that she borrowed another's sketches, passed them off as her own, and began designing costumes for silent films. By the 1930s, Edith Head had established herself as one of the leading designers. She worked at Paramount for forty-four years, then she went to Universal Pictures on 27 March 1967.
• • During her long career she was responsible for some of the best known Hollywood fashion images of her day. Her costumes, worn by the most glamorous film queens, were seen by millions. Head's influence on world fashion was far reaching, especially during the 1950s when she began appearing on Art Linkletter's television program and writing books on fashion.
• • Edith Head costumed many stars including Mae West in She Done Him Wrong  and Myra Breckinridge .
• • Like Mae West, Edith Head also has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: 6504 Hollywood Boulevard.
• • Photo: Mae West • • costumed by Edith Head • • 1933 • •